Travelers - Family
Style - Cultural
Destinations - Kenya, Zambia
Accommodations - Bush Camp, Under Canvas, Safari Lodge, Fly Camping
Budget - around $20,000+ per person
Duration - 14+ nights
Month - June
Gateway - Lusaka, Nairobi
What a cool trip! For this adventurous family, we’re combining excellent wildlife destinations in East and Southern Africa with fun wilderness activities and authentic cultural experiences. By carefully selecting good value options in Lusaka, Livingstone, and Nairobi, we’ve got a great overall pace of the itinerary, a range of high-quality family-focused experiences and excellent guiding & safaris throughout.
The Kenya leg came together with affordable and unique safari camps, both of which are locally owned & offer an immersive cultural experience. I would do this trip with my family in a heartbeat!
Itinerary in brief
Please note: This itinerary was custom designed around specific parameters and personal preferences. Get in touch to find out what we would recommend for you.
- 2 July 2019 – Lusaka: Arrive into Lusaka where you are met and assisted with immigration formalities, then transferred to a city hotel for 1 night (dinner, bred & breakfast included). Rest and recover with lunch & optional activities to be paid direct.
- 3 July – Livingstone: Airport transfer and flight from Lusaka to Livingstone (1 hr flight, late morning). Transfer to a riverfront lodge just minutes away from Victoria Falls for 3 nights (family cottage, breakfast included). Lunches, dinners and activities to be paid locally.
- 4 & 5 July – Livingstone: Breakfast and accommodation is at the Waterfront Lodge each day. You have one afternoon and two full days to explore the Victoria Falls area: visit the Falls, visit the white rhinos in Mosi-oa-Tunya park, sunset boating on the Zambezi, go to Livingstone town & museum, visit a school and community…lots of options! The lodge has an activity desk to arrange and pay direct for these activities; alternately, we can help you build a mini-itinerary in advance if you prefer.
- 6 July – South Luangwa NP: Morning flight to South Luangwa National Park. Upon arrival at Mfuwe Airport, visit the town, Tribal Textiles and community projects. Enter the park this afternoon with wildlife viewing en-route to your lodge for 4 nights (family chalet, fully-inclusive apart from drinks/laundry).
- 7-9 July – South Luangwa NP: Three full days for intensive wildlife viewing with twice daily game drives and/or community project visits from your base at Mfuwe Lodge.
- 10 July – Transit to Nairobi: Early morning transfer to Mfuwe Airport and flight to Lusaka (approx 1 hr). You are met and taken to a hotel for lunch and the chance to enjoy the pool or rest until your evening departure. Fly to Nairobi this evening (approx 2.5 hr flight; airfare included). After immigration, you are met and transferred to a city hotel for 3 nights (2 inter-leading rooms, breakfast included). Lunches, dinners and entrance fees to be paid locally.
- 11 July – Nairobi: You have a full day guided tour of Nairobi with visits to the Kibera Township and Kibera Creative Arts Center as well as stops in town including the National Museum, Uhuru Park or other points of interest
- 12 July – Nairobi: You have a full day guided tour of the Karen District with visits to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Center and/or Kazuri Bead Co-Op
- 13 July – Ol Pejeta: After breakfast, you are met by your driver guide for an overland transfer north (about 3.5 hours) across the Equator to Ol Pejeta Conservancy where you have 2 nights on a full board basis
- 14 July – Ol Pejeta: You have a full day for game drives on this world-renowned private reserve with views of Mt Kenya
- 15 July – Il Ngwesi Conservancy: After breakfast, continue overland to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy gate. Here, you say farewell to your driver guide, meet your guide from Il Ngwesi Community Conservancy and enjoy a 2-hour game drive transfer to an open-air safari lodge for 3 nights (family cottage, fully inclusive apart from alcoholic beverages). Enjoy a refreshing swim in the pool and dinner under the stars!
- 16 & 17 July – Il Ngwesi Conservancy: You have two full days to immerse yourselves in this Masai-led experience with wildlife viewing, visits to Mukogodo Forest or the Masai Cultural Boma, local dancing and music, community project visits, beadwork with Masai women, school or clinic visit and many other activities.
- 18 July – Masai Mara GR: This morning, you fly to the famous Masai Mara Game Reserve (1.5 hours’ flight) for your wildlife-intensive finale. Short transfer to your camp for 3 nights (family tent, fully inclusive).
- 19 & 20 July – Masai Mara GR: Two full days for wildlife viewing with your Masai guide, searching for cheetah, lion and other wildlife on game drives. Guided nature walks around the lodge property and community/school visits are offered as well.
- 21 July – Nairobi: Fly back to Nairobi midday. You have a guide and vehicle this afternoon for any final stops or last minute souvenir shopping before being transferred to the Four Points Sheraton (adjacent to the airport) where a room has been booked for you to rest.
- 22 July — Departure: Take the shuttle to Jomo Kenyatta International to check in for your flight departing at 4:20am (international flights booked direct with Turkish Airlines).